Friday, May 20, 2011

Mujadara

Healthy, hearty and really good.  I actually was very impressed with this first attempt since I didn't use a recipe and just kinda winged it.  I had short grain brown rice, green lentils and an onion, and needed a side dish.  FH doesn't go near lentils, but loves onions and garlic.  I thought this might be the way to get him over his fear.  He tasted it, but due to it's appearance announced he would not eat a whole bowl of it.  That's ok.  More for me!
Mujadara

1 cup green lentils
1 cup brown rice
1 large yellow onion
Olive Oil
Minced garlic
Kosher salt
Cinnamon
Cumin

In one pot, boil the lentils.  In another pot, start sweating the onion and minced garlic in the olive oil.  When onions get tranluscent, add the brown rice and the water.  I added my spices to the rice/onion mixture when the water was about halfway absorbed.  I added about three decent sized pinches of kosher salt (I tasted in between and added as needed), about 2 tablespoons of cinnamon (I really wanted a hint of the flavor to stand out and it was getting lost), and about 2 tablespoons of cumin.  The onions and the cinnamon gave it a slightly sweet flavor while the garlic and and kosher salt balanced things out.  Then I mixed it all together and served.  It actually was better the next day for lunch after sitting and coming together in the fridge overnight.

Any other spices you use for mujadara?  Any changes you would make?

No comments:

Post a Comment