Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My Quickie Snack/Dinner: Hummus

I've eaten lots of hummus. Everyone seems to have their own recipe. The best that I've ever had, hands down, was in a little tiny restaurant in Tel Aviv on Ibn Gevirol, very close to Pinkas. I wish I could remember the name, but alas, I left the restaurant drunk on hummus and pickled radishes without a clue. Such is often my state when faced with amazing food and no willpower. It was a great thing, one that has left me in a constant search for that perfect hummus (or at least something that came close!). I'm getting there. Myself. My biggest homemade hummus complaint has to do with consistency. I want a smooth texture, and I don't want it to taste overly full of tahina. Last night I played around with some homemade tehina and I came close- Closer than ever before! And I have a backup plan that will only improve things! (More on that backup plan to come when I finally plan ahead and use dried chickpeas instead of the ones from the can...)

Machinery: Food processor

1 can of Chickpeas (or use dried...eyeball amount, soak overnight and boil for 1 hour until soft and skin starts to separate)
2 tbs Chickpea Can Juice (or water used to boil them)
1/4 cup Olive Oil
2 tbs Sesame Seeds
1 tbs Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp Cumin
Garlic
Salt
Pepper

Optional:
Toasted Pine Nuts
Parsley
Paprika

In the food processor, add the sesame seeds and the olive oil. Spin those seeds until they look like they are as broken down as they are going to get. Then, add your chickpeas, lemon juice and spices. Easy Peasy. This recipe takes a lot of adjusting so taste along the way and add things as needed. If you like a chunkier hummus, don't add as much liquid. If you want it smoother, blend for longer while adding in more chickpea juice and olive oil. If you actually want to serve your hummus and aren't already just eating it out of the food processor with a spoon, spread it on a plate and sprinkle the parsley, paprika and pine nuts on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment